Thursday, September 13, 2007

Messianic Movement thoughts...

In the past few years, a new sect has risen within the Christian faith. This would be the Messianic Movement, completed Jews, One New Man, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-semetic, no way! I believe Christians should support the Israelites because God gave to us all, through them: the adoption, the Presence, the covenants, the Law, temple worship, the promises, the patriarchs and the Christ. See Romans 9:4-5.

However, God has no less love for the Ukainians, Sudanese, Chinese or any other people group as compared to the Israelites. In the Kingdom of God, no people group are more special than another.

I spent a couple of years attending a messianic fellowship. It was very interesting in that I felt I needed to be on my toes, judging every word, wary of coming under the law again. I believe this is a major danger of this movement, returning to a legalistic form of do's and don'ts. I did receive some great teaching about the Feasts and how they relate to Christ. Who, by the way, fullfilled the whole Law, including the feasts.

Oh, I no longer attend that fellowship, but's that another story.

Apostle Paul devotes his letter to the Galation church on this matter, leaving the grace of God for another gospel (not that there is any other gospel, but some are troubling and disturbing with a different kind of teaching, Galations 1:7 Amplified).

And some of these Messianic leaders are preaching another gospel. That Gentile believers must embrace or return to observing the feasts of Israel. That every believer should return to the land of Israel. Where is the New Testament church instructed to do these things? No where in my Bible.

There were just some things that I could not take as a believer in Christ. For instance, if there is neither Jew nor Greek, bond nor free, neither male nor female in Christ (Galations 3:28), why are the Messianics wanting the Gentile believers to take on Israelite religious customs? Such as keeping the feasts, wearing kippahs & tallits and blowing ram's horns. Observing the Jewish calander of days, months and years. It's like they are trying to make Jews out of all us Gentiles.

  "You observe days, months and times and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labor in vain." Galations 4:10-11.

I've also wondered about this. How do you know if you're of Jewish descent? Can a blood test reveal it? DNA test?

When Israelites become believers in Christ, they lose their Jewish identity, or at least it becomes secondary to their new identity in Christ. I'm an American, but it's secondary to my identity in Christ and my eternal citizenship in the Kingdom of God.

I'll continue this later.....

Labels: , ,