Tuesday, February 05, 2008

More on Tithing

What I am about to say will be controversial, I'm sure. But this is what I beleive the Lord has revealed to me.

Mal 3:10, "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

This verse from Malachi is perhaps one of the most misunderstood and yet important verses in God's economy. Before I share with you what the Lord has shown me, we must first see what the context was in which it was spoken.

The Word of the Lord from Malachi is the whole nation of Israel was backslidden from God and the priests were evil. That is the historical context and it was a word to the nation of Israel, and specifically, the priests of that time. The word speaks to us today, but we're not backslidden and were not practicing idolatry, right? We're seeking God with our whole heart and expanding the His Kingdom.

I know many pastors tell their people if they do not tithe and give offerings, they are cursed and they quote this verse from Malachi to prove it. I am sorry, but I do not agree and I believe those pastors are doing much more harm than good for the Kingdom. They are sincere, but they are sincerely wrong.

Christians are not cursed by God, even if they do not tithe. The Bible tells us in Galatians 3:13 "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us". Under the Old Covenant, the curse of the Law went into effect if you broke the Law. Christ Jesus came and fulfilled the Law for us and redeemed us from the curse of it! Praise the Lord! We're not under the Law of Moses, rather the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:2 "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death."

In the Law of Moses, many different forms of tithing was instituted to provide for the priesthood, care of the temple and support for the welfare program to widows and orphans, generally speaking. The practice of tithing that many pastors teach in our time is not even close to the way tithing is commanded in the Law of Moses.

Am I encouraging New Testament Christians to not tithe? Absolutely not! I am pointing out the fact that tithing as taught by leaders, especially from North America is not scripturally sound.

Pastors and leaders should encourage believers to tithe in order that they may experience the blessings associated with that discipline. Fear tactics, telling believers they will be cursed, should never be used to motivate believers to obey God.

What I am saying is this: tithes and offering given as directed by the Lord release a very specific blessing in the lives of those who practice it.

Labels: